Monday, February 7, 2011

Medusa Cosplay Pattern

Vollmann, The King of opium and other surveys in Southeast Asia, 1991-2001

We are few here to share the idea that the world would be unbearable without heroes: Jeffrey Lee Pierce, Humphrey Bogart, Eustace, Deleuze, Japanese photographer Takuma Nakahira , they are mine . Plus two or three others that I hold quote - I happen to cross them and it is over my shyness to have to admit something like that. In literature, a name still ahead of others: William T. Vollmann. (Hmm, I look at this list and I can only see infréquentables).
past two years, the birth of this blog, not a week without thinking finally make a post on guns, or Nights butterfly - two of my favorite books - not necessarily those you advise librarians and critics. One (the Butterfly ) because it has become difficult to find, the other (The Rifles ) because it requires them to read it - it's often as simple and stupid as that ... But these post coming soon ... Why are books that are preferred are also the hardest to make - it would be up to them? Or is it also part of the shyness thing?
I do not know if what you are reading now is a real post on Vollmann, a real post will come soon I think, but rather a board in friendship ... Tristram released this week a book that you never thought to be able to read here: In 2003, Vollmann has released (by subscription) at McSweeney's San Francisco Rising Up & Rising down a seven-volume study on violence. What should be a directory of nearly four thousand pages. Only the first thousand have been commercially published "abridged". Tristram that was published in French in 2009 under the title of the book violence. What we did not know is that the remaining 3000 pages (and inaccessible, even in English) were already being translated. The king of opium and other surveys in Southeast Asia (which was part of the initial volume V) opens the door to other texts to be published in the months to come to Africa, South America, the Muslim world ... all from the unedited version of stories that Vollmann is plunging head first in the heart of darkness (but as he refuses to jump to conclusions Many of these items have remained in a carafe, rejected by their sponsors: New Yorker, Spin, Esquire, Vice ...). All
scares in Vollmann, his look, his style, his body obesity similar to that of his books, he explores the places (devastated), people stare at it (damn). The 400 pages of King of opium I did eat two or three nights. White and hard (the pages, as the nights). The chapters on Cambodia are the most frightening (they are a measure of Cambodia itself in the wake of the Khmer Rouge of Pol Pot). Those on Japan's most concise. Those on Thailand's most immoral, and that on Burma on less inspired. And two chapters on the Cambodian gangs on Long Island? they are more ... oh and then read it rather for yourself (below) ... :

" Could I observe the gang member's family killing and eating someone? I did not want to. Perhaps you'd like get more of this story, sometimes leaders heading reward me by telling me that I should "go further" clarify things by making more extreme if I hung out with the right people, I probably saw the body of a boy. But most of these people did not lead a life of war concentrated. Life lingered, largely, with a meanness that had nothing remarkable. For the same reason I do not mean that Little Phnom Penh was worse than it is. Phnom Penh itself was worse, until very recently, just two months ago, during my last trip to Cambodia, I saw things much more sordid. The replica of Phnom Penh on Long Island had its working-class houses with courtyards enclosed but fertile, and sometimes beautiful trees and flowering shrubs. The wall of a garage adorned with a fresco of Cambodian dancers. The New Paradise restaurant was burned by a gang of Cambodia, I had read and heard, but was now rebuilt and Soeun and I ate there every day, she said the food was better than ever. I will not deny that Anaheim Street is the street signs half-dead. "
(p.175)

William T. Vollmann, King of opium and other surveys in Southeast Asia ( Rising Up & Rising Down - Studies and consequences , 2003), translated from English by Jean-Paul Mourlon, Tristram, 2011

0 comments:

Post a Comment